Are You a Legal Professional?

Unlawful Vehicle Modifications

Americans love their cars. Some really love them and opt to modify them in different ways. Some vehicle modifications are subtle - like a window tint. Other modifications are drastic and can be heard and seen right away on the road.

Under traffic laws in most states, drivers may be given a traffic ticket for operating a vehicle that has been modified in violation of laws that regulate vehicle specifications and vehicle equipment. Examples of vehicle modifications that may result in a traffic ticket include:

  • Addition of non-standard lighting (neon "underglow" lights, under-vehicle lights),
  • Alteration or removal of air pollution and emissions control device
  • Modification of vehicle ground clearance ("lowered" or "raised" vehicles),
  • Removal of mufflers and other sound-control devices, and
  • Window tinting (especially tinting of windshield or driver/front passenger side windows).

An unlawfully-modified vehicle can receive a traffic ticket for a mechanical violation. In some states, citations for certain unlawful vehicle modifications are considered "fix-it" tickets or "correctable violations." In California, for example, if you are given a "fix-it" ticket by a police officer, "yes" will be checked next to "Correctable Violation", and after the problem is fixed (i.e. you remove illegal under-car lights), you must get the signature of an authorized person (i.e. a local law enforcement officer) on the "Certificate of Correction" portion of the ticket. If you are issued a "fix-it" ticket for an unlawful vehicle modification in your state, read the ticket to determine whether you can mail the proof of correction, rather than taking it to court.

If the court accepts your correction, the case will be dismissed. But, if you fail to fix the problem within a short time after you receive a "fix-it" ticket, you will need to pay the fine for the unlawful vehicle modification, and you may be issued another ticket which will go on your record.

See also Mechanical Violations.

  • Unlawful Vehicle Modifications: Laws in All 50 States
  • Next Steps
    Contact a qualified traffic ticket attorney to help
    you get the best result possible.
    (e.g., Chicago, IL or 60611)

    Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution